Wernick & Pratt Agency specializes in children’s books of all genres, from picture books through young adult literature and everything in between. We represent both authors and illustrators. We do not represent authors of adult books.
While we are dedicated to our established list of clients, we are always looking to find new talent to nurture. We are interested in both published and unpublished people who are seriously committed to a long term career in the children’s book industry and the work involved in achieving this. We are able to take on only a limited number of new clients each year.
In light of the current market for children’s books, please be aware of our general submission preferences:
We are most interested in the following:
- people who both write and illustrate in the picture book genre;
- humorous young chapter books with strong voice, and which are unique and compelling;
- middle grade/YA novels, both literary and commercial.
We are not interested in the following:
- picture book manuscripts of more than 750 words, or mood pieces;
- work specifically targeted to the educational market;
- fiction about the American Revolution, Civil War, or World War II unless it is told from a unique perspective.
We receive hundreds of submissions each month, and while we would like to continue responding to every submission received, we are unfortunately no longer able to process replies to each one. Submissions will only be responded to if we are interested in them. If you do not hear from us within six (6) weeks of your submission, it should be considered declined. If you would like to request confirmation of receipt, please use the request receipt function when e-mailing your initial submission so you will receive an automatically generated response confirming receipt. We will not confirm receipt of submissions unless we have requested additional material.
We are accepting submissions via email only. If you are interested in submitting, please follow these guidelines:
- Please send us your contact information, including your email address, your mailing address and your telephone number. Please also indicate if you were referred to us, and by whom.
- Please indicate if this is an exclusive or non-exclusive submission. We prefer exclusive submissions for at least 1 month, but it is not a requirement for submission.
- Please include your background, including any publishing history, and if you have any other work available for consideration.
- If you are a novelist, please send as an attachment, the first three (3) chapters of the work and a very brief synopsis; please do not submit the entire work or include chapters from more than one work unless specifically requested.
- If you are a picture book writer, please send as an attachment, two (2) different manuscripts; please do not submit any additional manuscripts unless specifically requested.
- If you are an illustrator, please send as an attachment, PDF samples of your work, as well as a link to your website, or to a portfolio of your work. Please do not mail any original artwork as we do not assume any responsibility for original artwork that is submitted.
- Please send all submissions to email@example.com. Please indicate if you are submitting to Marcia Wernick, Linda Pratt, or Emily Mitchell, and please do not send the same submission to all of us simultaneously. A rejection from one of us should be considered a pass from the Agency. Please do not resubmit that same project to another agent. We do not accept submissions via snail mail. Any submissions sent this way will not be responded to.
Thank you. We appreciate your interest in our agency, and consideration of our submission guidelines.